Search form

menu menu

Dental expenses reclaim from NHS


Hi All.

As a retired UK expat in Belgium, can I claim dental expenses back from the NHS?


If you are resident in Belgium you claim from your mutuelle. The NHS has no further responsibility for you and the fact that you have to pay for things here which, as a pensioner, would be free in UK makes no difference.
I tried some years ago and that is the answer which I got from them.

Feb 7, 2017 13:32

While the NHS has no further responsibility for you, if you are legitimately directly receiving a UK retirement pension here in Belgium you will have received a form S1 from the people at Newcastle. This form, when registered with a Belgian mutuality of your choice, will entitle you to the same benefits as a Belgian receives but at the ultimate expense of the UK (who will also issue you with your EHIC card).

My experience of dental services here so far (which in my wife's case has included ongoing treatment at a CHU) is that they are both better AND cheaper than the services we received from NHS dentistry in the UK. In some cases my dentist's actual charge for treatment has been lower than the corresponding NHS charge would have been even BEFORE a significant rebate was received from the mutuality.

Feb 7, 2017 21:25

Becasse disagree about charges some things cost a lot more crowns for example are eye watering here. Kaisserstamper surelt you've had Nutella insurance why not inquire there also don't forget once Mrs May gets this lastest bill through the house who knows what you will be eligible for.

Feb 8, 2017 09:20

Mutelle auto corrrect although Nutella did make me laugh when I spotted it

Feb 8, 2017 09:21

I'm not sure what you mean.
I have been registered with a mutuelle since I moved here 20+ years ago. I have no other health insurance and never have had. I've no idea why I would want to 'inquire there'. I submit my medical bills and get reimbursed.

Feb 8, 2017 11:14