Search form

menu menu

Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope to the US


I need to obtain a copy of my son's birth certificate from the US and the city hall has asked me to send a self-addressed stamp envelope with my request. Is there a type of global international postage stamp that I can purchase in Belgium to affix on the SASE?
Failing that, If anyone has any valid US stamps laying around, I would be happy to purchase them - I need approx $10 worth to be certain.

Many thanks!


Do you have a friend/relative in the US who could send the SESE then forward it to you?

Jul 6, 2021 01:58
I've no idea whether these are still sold in Belgium.
A further problem will be whether one is acceptable in your situation. US Post Offices are obliged to exchange them for stamps but someone has still got to take it from your town hall to a local post office.

Jul 6, 2021 09:28

I find it interesting that you had to go to the city to request this. When I needed a copy of my birth certificate, I had to go to the state level, and I did not have to supply the postage. But perhaps this depends on the state...
In any case, it might be worth just telling them that it is impossible to honour their request for an SASE and can they send it without? I've found that when dealing with international administration, I just have to be pushy sometimes.

Jul 6, 2021 10:22

Try state level authority instead of "town hall" and get from there.

Many are even online or have a licenced partner that sells online.

Jul 6, 2021 12:59
PeterA Jul 7, 2021 13:50

Thanks for all suggestions. Following the state level authority takes me to VitalChek where I am currently trying to provide enough ID details for my son. I have already provided a copy of his US passport, social security number and a notarised confirmation stating his passport details and address in BE, but it's not enough. I also sent a copy of a letter from the Belgian MOF mentioning his name and address, but stupidly forgot that it wouldn't work because it's in Dutch. I have contacted VitalChek to ask if they would accept a letter in English from the bank confirming his address or a letter from the commune, translated into English and legalised. What a palava!

Jul 9, 2021 13:19

Hi, I have 20 first class (US) stamps if still needed.

Jul 15, 2021 19:31